Saturday, January 3, 2015

Awe

“Awe affects the brain in surprising ways. Stopping to wonder, our minds are changed cognitively. In this awe-opened space, new meanings, perceptions, capacities, dreams, possibilities, powers, and insights are born in us. We discover that we are able to draw new mental maps of the world and imagine new ways forward in our lives. Indeed, our most ordinary moments become qualitatively different. That's why James Joyce defines epiphany in his novel Stephen Hero as the “sudden recognition of the significance of trivial things.” When our perception changes so does the world around us.” From “The Purpose of Wonder” (A Seekers Forum talk) ~ Mark Matousek

No comments:

Post a Comment

January: Pausing and Giving Thanks

Today I pause for a moment to remember to be grateful, and give thanks for my body, my being, my loved ones. Too often I seem to be so busy ...